About Me

My photo
Hi! I am a fitness professional, a father of two gorgeous girls, a serious football fan and a LOVER of FOOD! I believe that to maintain balance in life we need to enjoy everything in moderation. But sometime during the past two and a half years, since my first daughter was born, I have lost my balancing ways. I'm addicted to food...my main addiction; chocolate. My workouts have taken a backseat to parent and tot gymnastics, crafting, and singing the ABC song. I NEED to find balance again. Please join me as I embark on this journey. I hope you too can find the balance in your own life.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Taking a Mulligan...

To me, making New Year's resolutions is like buying lottery tickets.  That feeling you get before the numbers are drawn, when you just KNOW that you are going to win.  It's the same feeling you have on December 31st, when you just KNOW that you are going to kick ass next year.  Then, the first number is drawn and you realize that the dream is over. That's the same feeling you get around noon on January 1st, when you realize that you have already broken most, if not all, of your resolutions.  Where the two differ is that your lottery dream is now over, but you still have 364 days of the year to make your resolutions count.  That is why I took it upon myself to take a mulligan on January 1st.  Things didn't quite go as planned. They never do when your 2 year old decides to skip her nap.  Seriously, sometimes I think she has it in for me.

Overall, January 1st wasn't horrible. It was certainly an improvement on the debauchery that ended 2011, but far from perfect.  But really, who starts a new routine, let alone a New Year's resolution, on a Sunday?  NOT ME! Once I had committed to beginning my new healthy living plan on the 2nd, I only had one thing left to do...finish the cookies and ice cream.  High on sugar and full of confidence, I managed a near perfect eating day, but failed miserably as my no-workout streak grew a little longer, somewhere in the 5-6 weeks range now.  When I compare January 2nd to the 1st, I can only assume that by January 3rd I will have the whole resolution thing under control and will be well on my way back to feeling healthy and strong.

Maybe New Years needs to bring about a transition stage first, not the cold turkey approach that simply breeds failure.  Seems logical and somewhat realistic, which is really the key to it all.  Goals and plans need to be realistic or they will likely not end well.  If a plan is going to be realistic, then in order to be successful, it had better be efficient!!

The reality is that most of us don't have the time and/or energy to workout 5-6 days each week, nor do we have the patience or willpower to stick to a meal plan all the time.  An efficient program would have a meal plan that allows you to lose, or maintain, weight without it feeling like a diet and a workout plan that allows you to make the most of the time available.  This is exactly what I have been working on, since my first daughter was born and I learned the cruel truth about time...there is never enough.  The program works.  Now it's time I get re-commited.  First things first...lose 20 lbs and keep it off.

STARTING NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment